Sunday, October 21

Obsessive Consumption

jen bekman is a tangible art-space in SoHo for the DIY/Etsy set. If you're into that.

Currently at the gallery, there is a Kate Bingaman-Burt exhibition. Kate is a graphic designer/illustrator known for her daily drawings of her purchases and, amongst other things, does drawings of every one of her credit card statements until they are paid off. It's interesting, this idea of documenting what you consume.


(illustration by Kate via her Obsessive Consumption blog)
I admire how transparent she is about her spendings habits. I, on the other hand, am very secretive, and if anyone asks where I got something I always I say I got it on sale "somewhere," even if it was blatantly from the entrance rack at Anthropologie. Maybe I secretly want to be French or something. Kate seems to be the antithesis of my sentiments and at the same time is able to put it all out there in such a visually appealing way.

jen bekman
6 Spring Street
New York, NY 10012

No comments:

Post a Comment